Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Our New Baby

The first dog husband and I welcomed into our family came before our children. She was a mixed breed and turned out to be a small dog. The ad stated she was part boxer and part something else that I cannot remember now. She ended up looking like a cream colored dachshund even though she didn't have an ounce of dachshund in her.

Our little dog lived in more states and traveled farther than most of the people in my family back home. She was a barker...someone could fart two blocks away and she'd not only hear it, but smell it and bark. She was my shadow. Wherever I was in the house, she was also. She was in the kitchen when I cooked, sleeping at my feet while I was online, in the bathroom when I brushed my teeth... Unfortunately, she passed away this past October right before her 12th birthday. Heartbroken doesn't begin to describe what I felt when we lost her. I miss her so much...

After she passed, our children wanted another dog immediately. We have a rottie who will be nine this year and three cats, so it wasn't as though we didn't have any animals around here to love. I refused to discuss getting another dog. Our small dog had been my constant companion for a long time. Even several months after losing her, I still want to cry when I think of her - which is several times a day.

On to the point...

I've always wanted a German Shepherd. When I was nine or ten, I watched some movie about a German Shepherd. It wasn't Rin Tin Tin or anything of that nature and I certainly don't remember the name of it after all these years, but I vividly remember the aftermath. The ending caused so many tears I thought my mother was going to pull her hair out. My love affair with the German Shepherd had begun.

A month or so ago, I told husband when we did get another dog, I wanted to get a German Shepherd. He said that sounded great to him (he's also a sucker for animals thankfully) and we should start looking. I refused, explaining that I wanted to wait a while - maybe start looking in the spring when it wouldn't be so cold out while housebreaking a puppy.

Well, somewhere between waiting until spring and looking at the local classifieds, we ended up at a breeder's house on January 2nd. Mom and Dad were both on site and beautiful. We picked out the cutest little boy to welcome into our family and I cannot begin to tell you what a joy he is!

We named him Dakota. He's black and tan and I tell you, I've never seen feet so big on a puppy lol. He was six weeks old when we brought him home and ALL feet and belly. He was definitely well fed and not wanting for much ;).

His spot to sleep is with his head on my fuzzy slippers during the day. When I'm cooking or giving the babies a bath, I have to be careful because he'll curl up at my feet no matter where I am and catch a nap lol. At night, he's really abused and made to sleep at the foot of our bed lol. While not a problem now, when his body catches up to his feet - well, I have a feeling we'll have to make other arrangements lol.

I'll try to get some pictures of him today and post them. He's something special, that's for sure.

Return To Top

0 comment(s):

Post a comment