Friday, January 20, 2006

A Not So Mommy Vacation

Last weekend, husband had four days off for MLK Day - Friday through Monday. I'd been fighting a cold all week and woke up in a great mood Friday morning. For two nights, I'd been up all night with insomnia on top of having the cold. So, yeah, I felt like poop and my attitude wreaked of it.

Back to Friday morning.

I got up and husband seemed to be in a similar mood, which always adds to my irritation whether warranted or not. After an hour of his silence, my bad mood was only growing. I asked him what was wrong. He said "nothing." My irritation grew to no longer being able to keep my mouth shut.

I said, "Well, if you're going to be in a bad mood all weekend, I'll just go visit Michelle." Nevermind the fact that I'm in a bad mood. Projection folks. PROJECT your mood onto your spouse and then blame him lol.

Michelle is my closest and dearest friend. We've been best friends for over a decade. For the first time since they PCS'd from VA in December of 97, we're within driving distance of one another. A five hour drive, but driving distance nonetheless.

To my surprise, husband was all for me driving the five hours and spending the weekend with Michelle. My response was no, I couldn't leave him and the babies for three days - not to mention our new puppy who is working on being housebroken. It wouldn't be fair to him, it'd be too much work - and other excuses. Husband said it might do me some good to get out of the house, have some "me" time, spend some time with my best friend et al. He also said it'd be good for him and the babies to spend some time together, just the three of them.

Before I knew it, I'd packed a few things, loaded my six favorite CDs in the dash, filled up the tank in the Mustang and was on the interstate. I'd called Michelle first, of course, who said her husband was working all weekend, they had no plans and to come on down.

An hour into the five hour trip, I came to my senses somewhat and realized that the ONLY time I'd been away from my children more than a few hours was when I was in the hospital after surgeries. By this time though, I thought I'd gone this far with my Mommy Vacation, I might as well drive four more hours and get to see my best friend.

I didn't realize how hard it was going to be without my children. Friday evening wasn't too bad. I arrived around 5 pm, we ate and by 9 pm her babies were in bed. We watched a few movies, stayed up until 2 am talking and then hit the hay. Insomnia still hanging out, I was back up at 5:30 am - missing my husband and my children.

Her husband ended up getting off early on Saturday, so he kept their children while we went out to eat lunch and did some shopping. We found a great sale going on at Goody's and she helped me pick out a new outfit. I'm a blue jeans and t-shirt kind of gal. She has more style in her pinky than I have on my best day lol, so I love clothes shopping with her. Something I normally detest. I bought a cute pair of casual deep gray/black knit pants. The seams were in a light brown, so she said find a light brown shirt to match. The pants were regular $29.00 and I got them for $6.00. The shirt was $4.00. I also bought a deep purple cashmere sweater for $8.00 and an orange ribbed short sleeve shirt for $4.00. GREAT prices!

After shopping, she had to stop by her cell phone company. While she was in there, I sat in the car and called husband. They had gone shopping, rented movies, were doing laundry etc. and I was Mommy-sick. I missed my babies, I missed my husband and I was ready to go home. Or course, a week of insomnia, a cold and being exhausted was NOT helping matters lol. Instead of coming home on Monday, I made the decision then to come on home Sunday. I felt much better after that.

Saturday night we stayed up until 2 am talking and watching TV. Sunday morning, once again, I woke up at 5:30 am and couldn't go back to sleep. So, I got in the shower, got packed and was home by noon. She knew I was heading back early Sunday and that I wasn't going to wake her up before I left. I told her to call me when she got up and I'd let her know where I was. She called around 10:30 and was surprised I was an hour and a half from the house lol. I made damn good time on the way back.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed every minute I was able to spend with Michelle. It was just so hard to be away from my little ones...being around her children and mine not being there felt completely awful. Honestly though, for the first time being away from my babies, I don't think I did too bad. She said, if we'd gone somewhere together and her children hadn't been there either, it probably would have been easier for me. She's taken trips while in Europe with friends where they left their children home with their husbands...like going to a spa etc. I don't know, I probably would have still reacted with tears knowing me. She's much more adventurous than I am...

I was so glad to be home though. I felt as if I'd been gone a month, not only one full day lol. I know its good for Moms to get some time to themselves - and for children to get quality time with their Dad without the "rule enforcer" there to cramp their style. It sure is hard when you're not used to it though. Husband is a wonderful Dad and I knew they'd all be ok, but I sure missed them something terrible.

I think it will be a long time before I decide to take another Mommy Vacation...

Return To Top

1 comment(s):

Last night, dh and I took advantage of "Parents' Night Out" at the CDC. Five hours was almost too much for us to be away from our kids. By the time dinner was over, I was ready to go and get them even though there were 3 more hours before the night was up.

I hear ya.

By Blogger Fermina Daza, at January 29, 2006 12:18 PM &nbps;  

Post a comment