Sunday, May 21, 2006

Taking a Break...

I think I'm going to take a bit of time off from the computer. I guess I go through stages where everything is interesting and then, none of it is...

I talked to my Dad this morning. It was a great conversation as it always is. He was telling me about a story he heard in the Air Force about General Patton. Seems some of his soldiers had been arrested in a corrupt town outside of Fort Benning, across the border into Alabama. Patton took a tank down the main road and threated to level the town if they didn't release his men. They released 'em real quick.

Having read several Patton books, I'd never heard of this story. So, I had to get online and search to see what I could find. I found a small blurb at the bottom of this page: http://www.bobtuley.com/georgepatton.htm.

Seems it was Fort Riley that this happened and it was a cannon and not a tank ;). Still thought it was really interesting.

So, I'll see you all in June, sometime. Once husband gets back, he's going to take some leave and we plan on taking a small vacation. Daughter gets out of school this coming week, so it's the perfect time...

Till next time....

Return To Top

2 comment(s):

I have heard that story about Patton..just one of the reasons I reckon that his troops would fight thru hell for him.

Many years ago there was also a story about a commander at a USAF training base in Illinois. Seems the town was tired of several thousand young troops hitting town on weekends and made it known that they were not welcome. back in those days the troops were paid in cash at pay call. The Base Commander saw to it that everyone on the base was paid off in two dollar bills. The town saw then just how much money the base was worth to them. Then the old man allowed he would put the town off limits if they gave his people any more trouble.

Enjoy your vacation and tell your husband thanks from an old timer.

By Blogger GUYK, at May 21, 2006 6:13 PM &nbps;  

Have a good break!

By Blogger Fermina Daza, at May 23, 2006 6:22 PM &nbps;  

Post a comment