Wednesday, April 26, 2006

STILL Sick....

and if you have a queasy stomach, you may not want to read this post.

I felt like CRAP yesterday. I wanted to see my two favorite shows last night (NCIS and The Unit) or I would have gone to bed at 7pm instead of 9pm. At any rate, I woke up coughing at 2:30, then again at 3:45. I managed to go back to sleep until 4:30. At 4:30 am, my head was so congested and pounding so hard, I had no choice but to get up.

I make my way to the kitchen and take Entex - a nasal decongestant that I was given during the last bout of this crud in January. I try to lay down on the couch but my head was pounding so hard I couldn't. I get up, go to turn on the lamp over here by my chair and the bulb blows. Not only does the bulb blow, but damn if it doesn't flip the breaker in the scary basement. So, hacking cough, the flashlight and I take a trip down and flip the breaker. I'm sure a few choice words were released on the way down and back up, but honestly my head was hurting so bad I can't remember for certain.

By six, my head was better, but now all this congestion in my nose and head is running down the back of my throat. I have a VERY easy gag reflex on a good day. I'd taken my regular, every day meds at my normal, six in the morning time and got myself a cup of coffee. At 6:05 or so, I turn on Fox News, start to cough and oh boy, let the games begin...

I run to the bathroom, throw open the toilet and toss up my meds, the water I took them with, the sip of coffee I'd had and lots of gross congestion I'm guessing. I'd try to swallow, get this tickle in the back of my throat and heave again. I had the dry heaves so bad, I thought I was going to bust blood vessels in my eyes.

I come back and sit down in my trusty chair. I think, ok, if I can drink a sip of coffee and get rid of that tickle thing, I'll be ok. BAD idea. Back to the bathroom....

I think I have it all under control by 6:20, so I try taking my regular meds again and get a cough drop for good measure. Five minutes later I'm back in the bathroom throwing up water, my meds and cough drop...after having almost choked on said cough drop...

By this time, it's 6:35, I'm heaving so hard that not only am I sure I'll pop blood vessels in my eyes, I can't catch my breath in between heaves they are lasting so long.

In the many years husband and I have been married, this morning was the first morning I seriously considered calling husband at work and asking him to come home. I didn't think I was going to be able to stop hanging my head over the toilet long enough to get daughter breakfast and to school. Hell, at that point, I wasn't sure I could talk to husband if I could get him on the phone...that's how bad it was.

Thankfully, by seven, I'd managed to get some coffee down to get that tickle in my throat and chest under control and the dry heaves stopped.

The day was pretty uneventful compared to the way the morning started. Little guy felt bad enough to nap this morning from 8:45 until almost 11. He's started that barking cough thing. We go get daughter from school this afternoon and I guess he and I both got too hot in the truck. We all get out and he and I both start coughing and trying to throw up in the front yard. My GOSH!!! So, that was it. I called my doc. He wasn't there the first time, but I called him back an hour later and he answered. We'll see him tomorrow morning thank goodness. I was trying to wait until next week since it would be the time for my normal doc visit, but trying to puke in my front yard dashed that hope. We're going in tomorrow and hopefully an antibiotic for me and some steroids for little guy will fix us both up.

I'm not ready for the heat of summer, but I'm so sick of being sick, I'll take it just so we can stop getting sick every month as we seem to do during the winters here.

Sheesh, what a day.

Return To Top

3 comment(s):

I am wondering if there is something in the house the keeps you all sick. In the summer you are out so much, but in the winter you are almost locked up in the house.THe first place I would have checked is the duct system since it reaches every room.

I hope you all get well and stay well very soon.

By Blogger Gail, at April 30, 2006 7:09 AM &nbps;  

I think you just need to move somewhere that doesn't have a winter. I'm sending the biggest bunch of "get healthy" vibes I can muster.


- hfs

By Blogger Fermina Daza, at April 30, 2006 7:40 PM &nbps;  

Thanks guys!!

Gail, our house is almost 100 years old. No duct work to check. We have the most healthy heat (radiators) available according to what I've read - and two window air conditioners that cool us in the summer. I'm careful to use lysol on their filters before the season starts - after I vacuum and wash them....

Two things I've thought of as the reason little guy and I seem to stay sick in the winter. One, I have to see my doc each month without fail. I have to get my medication each month and sit in that pharmacy...I wonder if being in the hospital each month we aren't just picking up germs we otherwise wouldn't be exposed to. The other may be allergies. I was talking to our neighbor Monday and he said he'd never had any problems with colds/coughs until they moved here from a big city two hours from here. He said that the grain elevator in town was his and his wife's problem and I can't help but wonder if it might be our problem too...

By Blogger Shannon, at May 03, 2006 12:46 PM &nbps;  

Post a comment