Thursday, December 21, 2006

The History Channel and VTC

Yes, only a story from me can connect The History Channel with a VTC. For those who may be wondering what exactly a VTC is, it's short for Video Teleconferencing.

We didn't get to experience this during the last deployment, so I was quite surprised when I received the email offering us the opportunity this time around.

Of course, whenever the Army is involved there are last minute changes and this was no different. When the word was first sent out, they said we'd all be in a room where the commander could give us some updates, then we'd all get five minutes to talk to our loved ones privately. Next, the word came down that they were mistaken. There would be too many people for everyone to get private time, so we'd all be in a room where the commander would give us all updates and we could see our soldier in the group - ask questions about how they are etc. Finally, the day before, word came that only a few people were planning on attending so we all would get approximately five minutes each with our soldier afterall.

I had planned on attending regardless. The babies on the other hand - well, I worried about how they would handle seeing Daddy. I told them it was up to them on whether they went or not. That Daddy and I just wanted them to do whatever they felt was best for them. If they thought seeing Daddy while they talked to him would be too upsetting, they could go to school. If they wanted to go, they could and I'd take them to school once we finished. Son decided he'd rather go and see Daddy. Daughter cried (and she's not one to cry often) and said she wanted to go, but seeing him and not being able to hug him would be so hard. I completely understood because I felt the same way.

The day of the VTC came and after dropping daughter off at school, son and I headed to post. We arrived about the same time as commander's wife and her little ones and we all went into the building together.

After going in to the VTC as a group, we all were given five or so minutes with our soldier. It was pretty interesting and like talking on the phone to him, there was a delay. The picture was wonderful if you were still, but when you move, it blurs pretty bad (assuming it was the same on husband's side). It was worth every second and the only complaint I had was that I wished we'd had more time ;). Honestly though, if we'd all gotten an hour it still wouldn't have seemed like long enough, so in reality, I had no complaints ;). I was just thankful we were able to experience the VTC this time around.

So, how does The History Channel work its way into this story? Well, while we were waiting for our turn to go in for our five minutes, a soldier my husband used to work with came in with her baby. I believe she's now out of the Army and her husband is currently deployed. Behind her was a young man in his mid-twenties I'd guess, with an expensive looking camera on his shoulder videoing her every move.

While he was videoing someone else (I'm not much for having my picture taken, much less being filmed), I quietly asked her what was up with the camera. She explained that The History Channel was doing a program about the job she and other female soldiers did when they were deployed to Ramadi (and they did a damn hard job and did it well). A follow-up of sorts to see how their lives may have changed since they returned home. I told her I had an article still bookmarked on my laptop that was written about them while they were deployed last time. She asked if I could email it to her and I said sure. Before I could find a receipt in my purse to write on and get her email address written down, camera man had made his way over to us. And he was just a'filmin while I dug through my purse and wrote down her email addy.

So, there's the connection and I am hoping that portion will be so insignificant it will be tossed on the editing room floor and forgotten about lol. I'll be horrified if my messy purse and horrible handwriting winds up broadcast to the world LMBO. What a great five seconds of fame that would be ha!

Return To Top

5 comment(s):

Modern communication is great but still not like getting that hug. Merry Christmas to you and yours from Sweetthing and me.

By Blogger GUYK, at December 22, 2006 5:23 PM &nbps;  

Merry Christmas! Wishing you and yours a great holiday season. :)

By Blogger Hope4Grace, at December 23, 2006 12:04 PM &nbps;  

I'm glad you got that opportunity to do the video conference.


Merry Christmas :)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at December 25, 2006 6:17 PM &nbps;  

I'm sure they'd have to get your written permission to show your face, Shannon. (I've always suspected they do that on-site while filming.) Did they ask you to sign permission? Hey, let us know (if you wish) if/when anything is scheduled to be broadcast -- something I suspect they would tell you. Anyway, I'm so glad you got to see and speak with him!

By Blogger Larry, at December 26, 2006 10:53 AM &nbps;  

Happy Holidays

By Blogger Hope4Grace, at December 30, 2006 7:59 PM &nbps;  

Post a comment