Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Spray Painting Bandits: Update

Instead of rewriting everything, I'm going to copy and paste two emails I sent out last night to husband and cc'd to my Dad and my Father-in-Law. The emails are about the latest and greatest regarding the spray painting bandits.

Email One: Vandalized Fence

The police officer called this evening. He said that one of the boys had confessed to a teacher. It turns out that this teacher had been a victim of the spray painting bandits also. He asked me what I wanted to do. I told him I didn't really want them to end up in juvenile hall and he said they didn't have a juvenile facility here in our small town. That usually, once they get in front of the judge, they get a curfew (oh big punishment ha!) and ordered to pay restitution, but in his experience, the victims rarely see a dime. This morning, we'd already discussed my view - when they got caught, they should have to go back and help the owners of the property they vandalized fix it.

The police officer said he'd already talked to a few other property owners and they just wanted an apology on their front porch. I told him that'd be fine with me, but I'd also expect them to pick up a paint brush and help me fix my fence. He said that sounded like a great idea to him. I told him I thought it would be good for them to not only have to face the people that they decided to vandalize by apologizing, but also spend some time getting to know their "victims" while they helped repair what they'd messed up.

The police officer said one of the boys has not confessed, but he's sure he will since he'd spent the night with the kid that has confessed the night all this went on. And, they are sure the properties are all linked since every home was spray painted with the same colors - red and black. He said he was off tomorrow and Thursday, but Friday he'd get to work on tying up any loose ends to get the boogers out to the properties. He'd not talked to the parents yet, but would be. He was leaving an email for the assistant chief who was working tomorrow, so he would know where they stand on the investigation and what the "victims" preferred to do with the two turds.

I told him I'd planned to paint my fence tomorrow because of the vulgar language, but I'd hold off a few days to see if these two would end up helping clean up their mess. He said he'd give me a call on Friday and let me know what was going on...

All in all, I'm really impressed with our police. They got here so quick AND they were really fast giving me an update on what was going on with the investigation. It's not like this was a HUGE crime spree or anything lol, but they are still spending time on it and treating it seriously. I've never heard of any police department being this quick and keeping the people informed so well. Just another thing I'm really impressed with in our small town....


I sent that email about 7 pm. By 8pm, there had been some major developments lol. Around 9:30 pm, I sent the following email.

Email Two: Update II

Ok, here's the latest in the fence saga ha! Are you ready?

The babies stayed up late tonight because (name edited) daughter was working on her multiplication tables and I was helping her by quizzing her. Then (name edited) son had a book he wanted me to read and it was 8 before I knew what happened.

I got the babies to bed and sat down to read this political article online...I'd been waiting all evening to read it and darn if the minute I sat down with my coffee, Dakota, the German Shepherd, didn't go nuts at the front door. He likes to lay in front of the door and watch the folks across the street come home in the evenings. I'd heard the car doors and assumed it was them. When he went crazy though and I saw the hair on his back standing up, I knew something was up. Two seconds later, the doorbell was ringing. I usually don't answer the door after dark - especially after 8 at night, but I thought it might be the police or something...

So, I get the dogs out and open the door and step out on the porch. I have two young men on my porch that look to be 12-13ish, two Moms on the porch and two Dads standing down on the front walk next to the steps. Mom 1 says, "Are you Shannon?"

I confirm that I am and she says these two young men have something to tell me. I said OK -

Young man 1 says, "Ma'am, we're the ones who spray painted your fence. We just wanted to come by and tell you how very sorry we are and we want to paint and fix your fence for you."

Young man 2 stood silently. I thought at first he looked really mad - like, "How DARE I have to apologize to this hick..."

So, I tell them I really appreciate them coming by and I would love for them to help me fix the fence. Mom 2 says, "It sure is nice to meet you, I'm just sorry we had to meet under these circumstances."

I looked at these two pitiful young boys...I now see that Young Man 2 doesn't have anger on his face, he's trying to find every ounce of strength so as not to cry on this stranger's front porch. Big ol' tears are welling up in his eyes. I know, I'm a softy, but it broke my heart. So they had a lapse in judgment and painted our fence...it's not like they busted the windows out of my car or spray painted the house, the garage or my car...

I told the Mom that God works in mysterious ways - and maybe this is just how he decided to lend a hand at us all meeting. All the adults laughed - the boys were so scared they didn't move nor did they make a sound.

I told them the fence needed painting anyway, that my husband was going to paint it, but we just ran out of time this summer and never got around to it. Mom 1 or Dad 1 (can't remember) said the boys would be glad to paint my entire fence for me. I told them noooo, that wouldn't be necessary. I looked at these two young guys and said, I'll tell you what...if, come this summer, you two want to make some extra spending money, come see me and I'll pay you to paint my fence. How does that sound? Both shook there heads and didn't say a word. I mentioned that I'd had a spray painting mishap as a kid...and ended up in the police chief's office and since my step-dad had been city prosecutor, had embarrassed my family on top of it. These two just looked so pitiful, it broke my heart. I told them I know it feels awful right now, but I promise in twenty years you'll all laugh about it. Ya'll just come by and help me fix it - it's not the crime of the century...we'll fix it, don't worry.

The Moms asked what time on Saturday would be good for them to come by. I asked if 10:00 was ok...Dad 1 said they needed to be working earlier than that. Mom 1 said, "Well, we don't want to make her get up early on a Saturday." I told them I was usually up by 6 anyway, so it was whatever time they wanted to come by. Eight a.m. was decided on. The two boys said again that they were really sorry and I again told them not to worry, we'll fix it on Saturday...it's ok. I told the Moms and Dads I'd have a pot of coffee ready for them and they laughed and said thanks, they'll need it.

And with that, they left.

With parents today, I have to say these parents truly impressed the hell out of me. A lot of parents would have told the police to PROVE their boys did it - or would have agreed to apologize maybe, but not have THEIR children painting! Oh the horror. Not these folks, their spray painting bandits were going to get to work early on Saturday and fix everything they vandalized. And from the looks on their faces, life at home wasn't going to be ANY fun either. I think they are doing a good thing. And if the looks on their faces are any indication, I'd bet this will be the last time either of these young men have a run in with the law ;).

I'm really pleased with the way all this turned out and thrilled that I'll have some help fixing the fence this weekend :). So there's the updates...I'll get some photos of the fence - before and afters - and email them out this weekend.


So there you have it.

I'm so impressed with our police department and the officers who look out for us. My hat's off to the parents of the spray painting bandits for not only making these young men take responsibility for their actions, but also making them take steps to try to repair what they vandalized. These parents are handling this just like I would have and from what I see from society, there just aren't too many of us raising our children these days - much less teaching them how to be responsible, productive citizens. These two young fellas have no idea how lucky they truly are to have such great parents. I am sure their lives aren't great right now, but they'll look back on this one day and be thankful their parents cared enough to teach them a good lesson on taking responsibility for one's own actions.

And yep, I totally turned into a sap when these two young guys were apologizing. I just couldn't help but feel for them. They are at that awkward age where they aren't little kids anymore where they could cry and release some stress no matter who is looking. Yet, they aren't teenagers with hormones and attitude kicking in to keep the tears at bay either. It just broke my heart looking into the eyes of these two scared young men. Yes, they were wrong and YES I was upset about my fence...but if you could have seen them... Well, I just couldn't help but to tell them it was ok - we'd fix the fence and all would be fine. Oh yeah, I'm a real hard-ass lol. If this had been 17 or 18 year old seniors - I probably would have let them paint my entire fence. These two young'uns though...what can I say? I caved lol. That's ok though...hopefully this small bump in their road today will help them dodge big potholes later on. After meeting them and their parents, I have a feeling that will be the case and I really can't ask for anything more.

Return To Top

3 comment(s):

Amazing, simply amazing.

I would have never imagined an outcome like this. What a terrific turn of events. I wish more police departments and parents function that way.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 15, 2006 11:50 PM &nbps;  

Yep, you encountered some "unusual" parents there, Shannon -- sad to say. And I'll predict that you likely made a positive impression on --and gave a great lesson to-- the two lads. Good job.

By Blogger Larry, at November 16, 2006 11:02 AM &nbps;  

Awww...I could feel my eyes tearing up at the thought of those two young men. Yeah, I was angry hearing what happened, but I'm a pretty big softie underneath.

I'm so glad they have such good parents, and that they are obviously pretty decent kids too. I'm reminded of my nephew at that age, who in his misguided youth decided to set fire to a wasp nest. Unfortunately that wasp nest was in the roof of the local firestation!!! He ran away pretty quickly but my brother put two and two together. They brought him back up to the firestation and he got to do some locker cleanup and floor sweeping for the next month. It was a good experience for him, though.

I'm glad the situation ended so positively. Good luck on Saturday!

By Blogger Sue, at November 16, 2006 4:18 PM &nbps;  

Post a comment