Tuesday, December 19, 2006

American Girl

If you have a daughter or other young lady age six to twelve in your life, you've most likely heard of the American Girl dolls. Personally, I'd not heard of these obnoxiously expensive dolls until this year, when daughter made a new friend at school. Apparently, new friend has two or three of these things. She brought a catalog to school for daughter to bring home and look at. Of course, by the time daughter got home, she was in love.

As it turns out, the books daughter had been reading at school for her reading program were connected to these dad-burned dolls too. I'm telling you, the person who thought this racket up is a genius - and now a billionaire lol.

All these dolls she'd show me in the catalog, she'd also read their books and could tell me all about their families, their lives and their friends. She was so excited to find that all these girls she'd come to know and love while reading about them also had a real doll you could see, touch and dress!

I was excited for her - until I noticed the price tag ha! Whew... Well, husband wanted to know what to get daughter for Christmas and I told him about the dolls. And, of course, he bought her one. When this conversation took place, daughter loved the idea of their "look like me" doll. You can choose the hair color, skin and eye color and get a doll that - well, looks like you lol. Currently she's in a box in the dining room. I need to get it out and wrap it in the next few days. Just something else I've been putting off.

To go along with the books and the dolls, they now also have American Girl Movies. Like I said, a genius thought this up folks lol. Molly, American Girl on the Home Front debuted a few weeks ago and replayed again tonight. I have to say, even though it was a tear-jerker for me personally, I really enjoyed the movie. It's set in 1944 during WWII and it's a wonderful story. However, if you are a military family (especially if your loved one is deployed), don't be surprised if you find yourself wiping tears throughout. I know I did, even during the second time around tonight.

Saturday I believe it was, The Family Channel played the other two movies, Felicity and Samantha. Daughter couldn't wait to see these too. I thought they were really good also, but I guess the Molly movie hit close to home in a way, so I'm partial to that one.

I'm definitely not trying to "sell" anyone on these dolls. I think they are criminally overpriced, but the books and movies are worth the time. They offer a positive message for young girls and are also entertaining. If you're looking for a few good books for a seven to nine year old (depending on their reading level) girl, these would be something I would suggest. Unfortunately for daughter, they've moved up her reading level, so she's no longer able to read the books for her reading program at school. The movies I think would be good for any age over probably seven. Even at my age, I enjoyed them. Son wasn't so crazy about watching them ha!, but he's a boy and prefers movies that aren't so girly according to him ;).

Have you seen any of the movies or have a girl that enjoys the books? If so, I'd be interesting in hearing your opinion of them too!

Return To Top

4 comment(s):

My daughter absolutely loves the books. Luckily, she isn't interested in the dolls, yet.... My checkbook and I had a conversation and we agree that we can't afford that anyway, so it's a good thing!

By Blogger Hope4Grace, at December 20, 2006 5:58 PM &nbps;  

Princess Trouble has Nellie (who, aside from the eye color, could be PT's twin). My MIL bought it for her. Like you, I am not keen on spending that much money on a doll, regardless of how well they are made.

But you're right - the stories and movies are positive and well-written. Even though PT is only 5, I read her a chapter each day and she loves them!

I'd much rather have PT playing with Nellie as opposed to Barbie or Bratz (we don't allow Bratz in our house...)

I hope she enjoys her doll!

By Blogger Fermina Daza, at December 20, 2006 7:03 PM &nbps;  

A couple of years ago when I lived in Maryland, my roommate was getting the catalogues that had all the American Girl stuff in them - dolls, doll clothes, girl clothes, books, accessories, etc. (Why a grown woman with no children was getting them is another question...)

I always thought they were pretty neat. A friend of mine is a teacher and she uses the books in her classroom - I like the way they address different periods in history in a way that is interesting for young kids to read. It's so hard to get kids interested in history and to enable them to connect with history on a personal level. (Especially in school we often get this idea that history equals loads of boring dates and not much else.)

I did see the Molly movie on TV the other day and I liked it. They could've done better with some aspects of it (a lot of the girls were dressed more 50's than 40's) but overall it was well done and interesting - for an adult as much as for the kids watching it.

I'd definitely recommend them. :)

By Blogger Mauser*Girl, at December 22, 2006 8:35 AM &nbps;  

My wife bought one when they first came out using one of her childhood pics.

She had lost everything in a fire when she was a small girl so having something like that meant a lot to her.

Glad your daughter got one too. Probably something she'll keep forever.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at December 25, 2006 6:23 PM &nbps;  

Post a comment