Wednesday, November 22, 2006

New Template

WHAT a nightmare. I started out with a three column template - which is what I really wanted. I'd found several blogrolls I wanted to join, and wanted a column on the left to display those separate from my favorite links.

Sunday I spent the entire day working on the three column template. Now, the code was ugly behind the scenes, but I don't know CSS very well and this template was done completely in CSS. About the time CSS was really changing the face of web design is about the time I stopped working. I'm about two years behind and apparently CSS has come a long way since then.

Anyhow, the code was ugly, but I thought it was my ignorance. After spending all of Sunday and Sunday night working on it, then part of Monday - by Monday night I was ready to test it in blogger preview. What a disaster...I learned a very valuable lesson...test early in blogger preview before devoting days to it.

Monday night I trashed the three column template and found a two column that I could use with the logo I'd originally made for the three column template. The original template that I'm using now can be found at Free Blogger Templates. The template I chose is Autumn Rain. As you can see, I changed quite a bit around, but kept the general layout. The code behind the scenes is pretty clean and easy to understand. The only problem I had when I put it in preview on blogger was the text on my right sidebar was smaller once it was published than it had been in the preview. Not sure why that is - but figure it might have something to do with blogger's bar at the top of the page....only thing I could think of that is different between the preview and the final product once published. Anyhow, there are some nice looking templates on Free Blogger Templates and I'd highly recommend them.

If you're looking for a new template, here are some sites with free templates. These are sites I ran across during my search that I bookmarked because I thought they had a good selection, they had a template I was considering or the templates they had were unique compared to most designs I'd ran across. Hope you enjoy!

  • Free Blogger Templates

  • Noipo.org's Blogger Templates

  • Gecko and Fly Blogger Templates (Classic)
  • Return To Top

    4 comment(s):

    I like the new look.

    By Blogger none, at November 23, 2006 2:52 AM &nbps;  

    I like it. Easier for old farts like me to read than the old one.

    By Blogger Grumpyunk, at November 23, 2006 4:01 PM &nbps;  

    I love it. Since I refuse to wear my glasses when reading for pleasure, this is the one! Dang, took a new layout for me to stop lurking, :( sorry.

    By Blogger Hope4Grace, at November 23, 2006 10:27 PM &nbps;  

    Thank you all for letting me know if it is a thumbs up or thumbs down template lol.

    Hammer, I guess I can't post comments on your blog since I've yet to switch to the new beta version. Just wanted to let you know I tried to comment on a few posts over at your place and they never went through.

    Welcome Hope4Grace! Thanks for saying hello! I've bookmarked your blog and plan to visit often. Enjoyed reading your posts. I didn't comment figuring I'd have the same problem trying to comment as I do at Hammer's blog. However, I wanted to - especially concerning the idiot who couldn't speak english and apparently has no business driving in our country. If you can't speak the language, you shouldn't be able to get a license...afterall, you can't read the signs if you can't speak the language! Glad you weren't hurt!!

    Unk, hope you had a good Thanksgiving...wish I'd been there. Would have loved to have used the GrumpyUnk Firing Range and used up a couple boxes of 9mm ammo.

    By Blogger Shannon, at November 24, 2006 8:56 PM &nbps;  

    Post a comment