Friday, November 24, 2006

Thanksgiving 2006

I have to say, this Thanksgiving was much better than Thanksgiving 2004. In 2004, the babies and I spent the holiday alone. It was one of the most depressing days of my entire life. Of course, I cooked just like I would if husband had been home, but it was really hard for the three of us to find the silver lining that day. The bright spot was after we'd eaten. I turned on the news and found out that President Bush had flown into Iraq and eaten with the troops. Of course, everyone on the left immediately attacked him for it, saying it was a publicity stunt, even taking issue over a turkey he held. For me though, it truly lifted my spirits. Our President leaving his family and spending the holiday with our troops spoke volumes. Regardless of whether you support Bush's policies or not, there is no doubt in my mind that he deeply cares about those in our Armed Forces. In 2004, he not only lifted the spirits of those he visited, but the families left behind and for that, I'll forever be grateful.

This Thanksgiving, I really wanted to go home. I wanted to spend Thanksgiving with my family back home. I wanted to sleep that really hard, deep sleep. The kind of sleep you get when you're not the only adult in the house and need to keep an eye and ear out for odd noises or little ones who might need you in the middle of the night. I wanted to cook a big meal with another adult - to talk and laugh while cooking all day. I wanted my babies to be showered with attention and affection, I wanted to see them get spoiled some...I wanted to see everyone eat so much that the only aftermath acceptable was to find a comfortable spot and snore for a bit. Most of all, I just didn't want the babies and I to be alone again.

None of that was possible though. Mother was wrapped around the axle about some things having to do with step-father starting at the beginning of November. Now, step-father is a good man, he really is. Sometimes that is his biggest downfall, he's too good. However, he's extremely unorganized. Often, he's not dependable. For instance, he'll say he's going to run to his office and pick up a file and be back in half an hour. Three hours later he'll show up - having also stopped by the dollar store or somewhere else on a whim and have three bags of stuff and none of it was needed. Nothing done maliciously of course, it's just his unorganized, spur of the moment way. He's been the same way for the 25 years or so I've known him. You either accept him for who he is or you wear yourself out being disappointed, pissed off, disgusted etc. Guess which avenue my Mother takes? Yep, 25 years of bitching, being mad as hell, saying she's had enough and so on. I've heard this same crap since I was ten/eleven years old. And of course, the holidays are upon us and the shit has to hit the fan again.

As much as I wanted to go home, there was just no way I was going to make that two day drive and be put straight in the middle of her latest drama. She was doing a good enough job of trying to put me in the middle with me four states away. I grew up in the middle of this mess and as an adult, my ability to handle bullshit and drama is about zero. Life's too short. I decided being alone was better than putting the babies and I on Dysfunctional Family Crazy Train lol, and staying home would be less stressful than going. Lonely? Yes. Stressful? No. And to me, lonely is better and will win out each and every time.

Since the babies and I were going to stay home and I was going to cook a big meal, I asked our next door neighbor if he and his wife would like to come eat with us. He said he'd talk to his wife and let me know. He wasn't sure what their plans were. Last Sunday, she stopped by and said her daughter would be in town for Thanksgiving and we were more than welcome to come eat with them. We agreed on who would cook what and planned for us to come over around noon on Thanksgiving.

I made daughter's favorite, deviled eggs and I also made a green bean casserole. Our neighbor made ham and a few other things. We all ate enough to feed a small Army. It was great food and great company. It sure beat the heck out of the babies and I eating here alone, that's for sure. They are always so sweet to our children and we're so fortunate to have such wonderful neighbors.

So, although it wasn't as special and wonderful a day as it would have been if husband had been home, it was a good day compared to 2004. I was truly thankful to be able to spend the day with them and I know our babies were too.

Return To Top

4 comment(s):

Shannon, I'm so glad you didn't spend Thanksgiving without loving adults. God bless those good neighbors. Hey, did you get to speak with your man?? May he return safely -- and soon. RE the template: easy to read posts now (Thanks!), but sidebar and top are black, so I need to hilite to read those areas. Very Best Regards.

By Blogger Larry, at November 28, 2006 8:12 AM &nbps;  

Happy Late Thanksgiving Shannon! Glad to hear that you guys had a great holiday. I too found the President's trip awesome. I find myself getting goosebumps over anything patriotic thesedays. Must be cause of military life is slowly crawling to an end. Sigh! Sniff Sniff.

By Blogger Hope4Grace, at November 29, 2006 6:49 PM &nbps;  

Glad to hear it Shannon. Being a military wife is one of the toughest jobs on this earth..and it sounds like you know how to handle it.

By Blogger GUYK, at November 30, 2006 5:11 AM &nbps;  

I like the new template. Nice site and I'll be returning.

By Blogger Dazd, at November 30, 2006 10:02 AM &nbps;  

Post a comment