Monday, March 20, 2006

Spring? Where??!

Well, spring has officially sprung. And, of course for our current location, that means it is snowing. I really thought once we left Alaska, snow would be something this southern girl would see little of. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case for this area. After four L O N G years in Alaska's cold, dark interior, I can't stand the white stuff.

In Other News...
Daughter is on spring break. I feel bad for her. It looks like it's going to snow most of the week, so we'll be stuck in the house. We'll come up with some fun stuff to do though...like cleaning their rooms lol. Ok, so I won't be that mean. I can do that next week when she's back in school. I'll set up the paints in the kitchen and let them go to town. My two babies love anything that is messy ;), so painting will surely lift their spirits some since we can't spend the week at the park like we'd hoped.

Last week daughter had a cough and runny nose, but she's much better now. Unfortunately, little guy started his cough today. By this afternoon, it was the barking cough that seems to happen to him the minute he gets the sniffles. That's why I'm awake at this hour instead of sleeping in the warm bed with husband and the spoiled German Shepherd (the rottie sleeps with daughter lol). We went to bed at 11, but by 11:30, little guy was coughing. Earlier he had coughed so hard he got sick to his tummy, so I had to change his sheets. When he started coughing again after we had gone to bed, I went ahead and got up. Figured why go to sleep only to get up in an hour to doctor him his next dose of cold medicine.

So, I came downstairs, made some coffee, got online and waited until the six hours were about up so he could have another dose. My poor baby...his chest is so tight. I gave him the grape flavored cough and cold medicine and put some Vicks on his chest. He's now settled back into deep sleep and no longer coughing. Unfortunately, now I'm wide awake though ;). I'm sure the coffee didn't help. At any rate, if he's not sounding better in the morning, I think I'm going to go ahead and brave the crappy weather and get him in to the doc. We'll just have to see how he's feeling...and how he sounds.

That's the updates from here. Hope everyone has a good week!

Return To Top

3 comment(s):

Hi Shannon. Thanks for commenting on Charmin Just Charming. The only way I know that someone is reading the site is by the comments-and of course the sitemeter-but I like the comments a lot better.

Sweetthing and I spent three years in the interior of Alaska and she had the same ideas about it as you. I liked Alaska but I didn't like the extended months of extreme cold. We lived in the bush out of North Pole about fifteen miles or so and it was four wheel drive in and out about nine months out of a year. I was stationed at the Air Force base--my last assignment before I retired. I would have stayed in Alaska but sweetthing allowed I would have to stay by myself and I love her a hell of a lot more than Alaska. We came back to the sunny west coast of central Florida and I can't say I am sorry of it. I do like Florida and the weather and the great fishing.

By Blogger GUYK, at March 21, 2006 4:56 AM &nbps;  

For our first two years in AK, we also lived in North Pole. Right across the highway from "The Santa Clause House." Well, across the highway a bit and down a dirt road ;). Instead of going to Fort Wainwright to get groceries, husband and I would go to the AF base. Where we lived was just about right in the middle of the two, but we liked the AF's commissary better.

For the last two years, we ended up moving on base at Fort Wainwright. We lucked out and were offered nice housing that had a garage! It was pure heaven after two years of no garage and having to warm up our truck for an hour just to put our little one in. The only thing I really missed about North Pole was the fact that we could see the Northern lights so clearly out in the sticks. With so many lights on post, you couldn't see it like you could out in the woods.

Husband is still a resident of AK and loves it up there. Being from the south, the nine months of cold every year that you mentioned was hard for me to enjoy :). I do miss some aspects of AK...but a visit would cure that, I'm sure.

I like where we are now, although it's not quite far enough south for me. We can still take a vacation to Destin, FL in the summer - it just takes about two days to drive. I love Florida though!

Thanks so much for visiting my blog. I've really enjoyed reading your blog...and sure admire your garden! The pole beans sound so good! Another reason I'm not far enough south is you can't find pole beans here in the grocery store. Darndest thing...

If you don't mind, I'd like to add your link to my list of favorites over on the right. Thank you again for visiting and I hope Sweetthing's hand is feeling better soon.

By Blogger Shannon, at March 21, 2006 8:13 AM &nbps;  

I hope your little man is feeling better.

By Blogger Gail, at March 22, 2006 5:30 AM &nbps;  

Post a comment