Monday, November 06, 2006

Thank you Mr. Postman...

Two weeks ago, I wrote about my run in with the law. I'd mentioned that as one policeman turned around to come get me, there was another one sitting at the bottom of the bridge. I thought surely, they didn't think I was gonna run. It was really odd for two of 'em to be in the same place in our small town.

I had some running around to do this morning and when I got home I was going to do some chores before sitting down to check my email. While taking out the trash and picking up some branches in the yard, our postman walked up. He's such a nice gentleman - retired Army, brother in the Army who does secret squirrel stuff, always asks about my husband etc. I was glad to see him since the last six months or so we've had a new postman. I haven't had the chance to ask how his family is doing and find out if his brother finally retired as planned or decided to stay in.

I wave and say good morning and the first thing he asks is, "Did you get a ticket the other morning?"

I laughed and said, "Oh gosh, did you see me get pulled over half a block from my house? How embarrassing!"

He says no, he'd been in the other police car sitting at the bottom of the bridge. The policeman is a friend of his and they were talking about hunting. He said that when I passed them, he mentioned to his friend that we were real nice folks. Mr. Policeman said, "Oh, you know them?"

Our postman said yeah, we live on such and such street. He told him we are an Army family and my husband is currently deployed to Iraq again.

Mr. Policeman said, "So they're nice people?"

He told him we were great people, hard working and just super nice...

Mr. Policeman then radioed the Mr. Policeman behind me - and asked him to cut me loose.

I told our postman I sure did appreciate it and the long morning that had led up to my lead foot through town. He's always so nice to husband and I, and super sweet to our babies. He talks to them and gives them candy during the summer when we're outside. He had a good laugh about poor little guy doing all he could to try to hold it until we got home.

As it turns out, it wasn't luck that I didn't get a ticket. It was because our postman was talking hunting and said some really nice things about our family. Who would have thunk it? I figured the policeman must be a Dad and might have found himself in a similar predicament - or I looked so rough after no sleep he felt sorry for me ha!

So, I thanked Mr. T., our postman, and told him how much I appreciated it. That I was being extra careful not to speed since my mid-life crisis car does anything but blend in ;). He agreed that it wasn't a subdued car ha!, and told me about his 69 Mustang, Mach 1 that he'd owned years and years ago.

As always, it was a pleasure to talk to him.

It truly is too damn cold during the winters and too damn hot during the summers here, but nicer folks in a nicer town you just won't find anywhere else in America. I'm so fortunate to live in such a great place - especially when husband is still active duty, we're so far from family and the babies and I spend so much time alone. Where you live and the folks who live there can and often do make a big difference in how well you handle long separations. We're so lucky to have found such a good place to live and raise our family...

Return To Top

2 comment(s):

Hi Hammer! He's just been so nice to us since we first moved in here back in 2002. I'm extremely lucky and truly appreciate the fact that such great people look out for us here in our small town.

I've been offline for almost a week and am heading off to your blog now. I'm looking forward to catching up on what's going on your way.

As always, thanks for visiting my tiny blip on the web!

By Blogger Shannon, at November 06, 2006 8:53 PM &nbps;  

What a wonderful gentleman.

By Blogger Fermina Daza, at November 10, 2006 8:34 PM &nbps;  

Post a comment