Thursday, September 14, 2006

Officially Out of Denial...

It started a few days ago - maybe last week. I can't be sure now. Husband said something about how soon he would be leaving. Well, it hit me like a lightening bolt. I KNEW this deployment was coming up fast, but I guess my mind hadn't put it in days until just recently.

Now, it's just about time. I cannot begin to express how much I'm dreading this.

One of husband's friends will come pick him up the morning he leaves. On his first trip to the desert, daughter was a baby and we took him to the hangar to say our good-byes. It was very hard to watch all these smiling wives, while I was doing everything I could to hold back the tears. And you know how well that works. Not sure about you all, but it seems like the harder I try not to cry, the more I need to cry. I sobbed the entire way home, which thankfully wasn't very far.

This last trip to Iraq from 2003 to 2004, husband had a buddy pick him up. After our first experience with deployment good-byes, we both knew we didn't enjoy saying our good-byes in public. So, this time we'll once again say our good-byes in the privacy of our own home, where I can sob like a fool for as long as I want to after he leaves.

I can remember being the new Mommy, the not so experienced Army wife and fairly young to boot and thinking, surely this good-bye thing will get easier through the years. It can't possibly be this hard and scary EVERY time. Goodness, was I ever wrong. Instead, we both agree that it gets harder and harder. You have more years behind you, more memories, more time together, you're closer emotionally...it all combines to make the good-byes harder each and every time.

So, I'm officially out of denial. I know this because I came home from dropping off the babies at school this morning and had that all too familiar feeling when getting out of the car. That feeling of not wanting to go inside where the life we've built together is everywhere, not wanting to be in our home without him here, not wanting to be a single mom... All the usual things I feel those first few weeks after he leaves, only he hasn't left yet.

Before I could pour my coffee, the tears began. After all these years, the fact that I cry before and after he leaves no longer embarrasses me. It's just the way I handle it. Some folks don't cry - some do. I've learned there is no "right" way to handle deployments, only what works best for each person.

I'll give myself a good week or so to cry whenever I get the urge. After that, it's time to get busy...start a new project on our old house, learn something new, find a new hobby. Anything that will get me moving forward and out of the pity party for one mindset. It usually works - and hopefully it will this time too. My only problem is finding that thing to do...the project, the hobby or whatever it is I decide on. Guess I need to paint the kitchen cabinets, but gosh I don't wanna ;).

Reality has set in though and it made for a crappy day. The tears continued off and on all day. I needed to go to the commissary and instead, I stayed home and cried whenever I got the urge. The hard part was picking up the babies from school. I'd done good this afternoon until I got in the car. The harder I tried not to cry, the more the tears streamed. So, just as I did two years ago when daughter went to this school, I sat in the car outside the school as long as I could trying to get the tears to stop. Then, I wore my sunglasses into the lobby to wait for son to make his way down the hall. The entire time hoping none of the other parents noticed the red faced, all stuffed up Mom. Sheesh.

I sure wish I was able to turn off the tears at will, but apparently I just don't work that way. Yep, out of denial...

Return To Top

8 comment(s):

Most of us can't quite identify with what you go through Shannon, but go ahead and bawl-it-out as needed and feel free to unload on us. Can't speak for anyone else, but I'm usually a very good listener. You military families are in the daily thoughts of many. We honor and respect your sacrifice, kiddo.

By Blogger Larry, at September 14, 2006 6:04 PM &nbps;  

Wish I could give you a big hug! I have had one of those days myself full of tears, many little things becoming big things. At least you have a good reason to feel sad. =\

I could say all the cliches, and all the kind words in the world, but I know they're hollow. Just know you don't do this alone.

take care....

By Blogger Sue, at September 14, 2006 7:04 PM &nbps;  

God love you and yours, girl. Hang tuff and say your prayers.

I wish it didn't have to be the way it is for you.

Be assured in the knowledge that he's a smart, veteran soldier who knows what to do and how to do it over there to keep himself and his troops safe.

Take care of yourself and your family as best you can and keep the home fire burning.

Please feel free to contact me if there is ANYTHING we here can do for you all or him if he needs something.

By Blogger Grumpyunk, at September 18, 2006 12:32 PM &nbps;  

God speed on a safe return.

By Blogger Dazd, at September 18, 2006 1:13 PM &nbps;  

I'm crying right along with you. I'm also praying right along with you.

A very good friend of ours left recently for the place your husband was last tour. I'm almost more worried about HIM than I am about my own husband. Ugh.

Holler if you need anything and know that the door is always open. Tropical paradise getaways are always good for the soul!

By Blogger Fermina Daza, at September 19, 2006 2:24 AM &nbps;  

I have often thought that the wives and significant others on the home front sometimes have it rougher than the ones deployed. Sweetthing allowed that about the time she got used to doing every thing herself here I would come and she would have to start sharing those decisions again..yeah right..I never did run things around my house except the damn washing machine and lawn mower. But you have the secret..
"it's time to get busy" time seems to go by a lot faster when one has one's mind occupied.

By Blogger GUYK, at September 19, 2006 2:58 PM &nbps;  

You've been in my thoughts often over the past few days. Hope you are ok!

By Blogger Sue, at September 19, 2006 10:25 PM &nbps;  

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at February 13, 2007 6:00 PM &nbps;  

Post a comment