Monday, October 23, 2006

Dumb Criminals and Refusing to be a Victim

I read this interesting article on Of Arms and the Law this afternoon. Seems a mom and son burglary team picked the wrong house to burglarize. Gang member son is shot three times by the lady of the house with a .38 caliber handgun.

Momma, playing the role of getaway driver, is not familiar with the neighborhood apparently, so she's not sure where the hospital is located. With her shot son in the car, she flags down an officer - an officer who was responding to the victim's 911 call concerning the home invasion.

Another win for the good guys. Well, until the court system gives mom and son a slap on the wrist for their crimes.

What disgusted me was this comment in the Daily News article Intruder shot by homeowner, Suspect's mom seeks help from deputy:
"To be honest it's fairly rare, but occasionally it does pay off to own a gun," sheriff's Lt. Tom Bryski said.


As mentioned in the comments on Of Arms and the Law, apparently sheriff's LT Tom Bryski has never read Civilian Gun Self-Defense Blog. He'd definitely see that being a gun owner pays off every day in this county in a big way: by keeping law abiding citizens ALIVE and SAVING INNOCENT LIVES.

I make no apologies for being a gun owner. I've been around guns my entire life. In the south, it's very common for children to be taught gun safety starting at a very young age. Our parents take us out shooting and the majority of us are well-versed in the use of firearms and firearms safety by the time we're 10 or 11 years old. It is pounded into our brains that you NEVER point your weapon at anything you do not intend to kill. When we turn 21, one of the first things we do is get our concealed weapons permit. To many, that is the big milestone at 21 - not being able to go to a bar or buy a six pack of beer.

The other day, LawDog wrote a very interesting piece. In Meditations on Deadly Force, LawDog points out the importance of taking the time to figure out how you really feel about deadly force and whether or not you truly could take the life of another - and under what circumstances you would do so.
Today, I want to ask if you -- as an adult -- have sat down and truly pondered Deadly Force? Have you, as an adult, made the conscious choice to decide when, where, and under what circumstances you will use Deadly Force, and when you will not?

And more importantly, as an adult, have you drawn a firm, bright line between I will and I will not?

I ask this because there are people -- purportedly adults -- who have stated to me that they do not know under what circumstances they would attempt to take the life of another, and that they don't wish to think about such things until the moment that it becomes necessary.

This is complete, total, and utter bushwa.

Make your decision now. If the time comes, trust me, a violent face-to-face social negotiation with a critter is neither the time, nor the place for an inner debate vis a vis morality and philosophy.


Go read the entire thing. It's something women, but especially military spouses, really need to consider because so often, we are living alone with our small children.

I've known my line in the sand for most of my life. Well, since I was old enough to shoot a gun. Our family always said, a criminal may bust down a door and walk in, but they'll be carried out toes up. If it's me (or worse, my family) or the criminal, I'm going to try my damn-dest to make sure it's them.

I refuse to be a victim. And, if God forbid, somehow, I end up becoming victim, I refuse to die without one hell of a fight. When the police find my body, I want them to be able to say, "Damn that woman put up one hell of a fight. She certainly wasn't going down quietly."

This is a subject I take very seriously. It seems that the world just gets more dangerous each generation. When it comes to my home, this is MY safe haven. A criminal might get in, but once they do, they are at the mercy of my two big dogs and several of my favorite handguns. I will shoot first and ask questions later.

Husband is well aware of my stance. He knows I will not being going and hiding with my children while dialing 911, hoping the bad guys won't find us. I will, of course, dial 911, but I'll be taking care of business first and ensuring my children and I are safe. When husband has gotten out of the field early, buddies will say they are going to go home and surprise their wives. Often, it'll be late in the evening and already dark out. They'll ask husband if he's going to surprise his wife. He laughs and says, "Hell no. I come into our house in the middle of the night, my wife will shoot first and ask questions later. I call her and let her know I'm on my way home."

I take no chances. I do NOT want some scum of the earth invading the safety of OUR home and my children watching their mother being a victim and possibly murdered - and then the scum killing my children to make sure there are no witnesses left.

Oh hell no. My line in the sand is drawn. I never want to have to take someone's life, but there is no doubt in my mind that I would in a split second if needed.

Is this something you've thought about? Do you have a line in the sand?

Return To Top

2 comment(s):

Yep, my line is parallel to yours. Did you get your hunter's safety card too? I am a proud carrier of both AND a Navy wife. Great post.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at October 24, 2006 6:59 PM &nbps;  

Hi Lynn! Thanks!

No, I've never had a hunter's safety card. I have been a member of the NRA most of my adult life though ;).

By Blogger Shannon, at October 24, 2006 9:21 PM &nbps;  

Post a comment